Thursday, November 1, 2007

crabby "lecturer" post

"if you don't mind, please let me know what i missed in class today."

"sorry i missed class today can you tell me what i missed. [sic] thanks."

"i didn't come to class because it was my birthday. i attached the homework. can you tell me what i missed. [sic]"

"i know i missed class last week but i want to go home early to celebrate my birthday so don't think i'll be able to come this week either. can you tell me what i missed. [sic]"

"sorry i couldn't come to class today. your [sic] a great professor. i attached my paper here."

DAMN THEM ALL.

first: what is wrong with using a question mark? why is this so difficult?

second: unfortunately in Grown-Up World my dear freshmen, birthdays are no longer the holidays they were when you were a child. (maybe this is a shame -- i'm grumpy so don't really care). you have to come to class. you have to do homework. you still have to use question marks.

third: emailing me papers means i have to download them from webmail then print them out myself. this sucks for me for a variety of reasons. mainly because it's a hassle and it was your job to bring your paper to class like (almost) everyone else managed. why aren't more students embarrassed by this? they think it's totally fine.

fourth-and-most-important: whenever you miss class in college, it's up to you to first attempt to find out what you missed from a fellow student. if you've exhausted every single person in class and no one can tell you, then you pay a visit to your prof during their office hours. I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH ENERGY IN MY SOUL TO EXPLAIN TO YOU (and you, and you, and you, and I HAVE 150 STUDENTS) IN A FUCKING EMAIL WHAT OUR CLASS DID FOR 1.5 HOURS THAT DAY. christ.

whew. i feel better now. i really have explained this (albeit more delicately) in class, but everyone is an exception. i know. i know.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, my. These are probably the same students who are living in those $250,000 lakeside condos while going to school. Brats.

You better be more helpful to them, and more understanding, or their daddies will be calling you any day now.

sylvia said...

yep. probably the same ones. but also a lot of the other students who just don't know manners very well. :)

and i'm a hypocrite, too, because i rarely say anything back, just "thanks for getting in touch"!

xoxoxoxo to you JA. :)