Friday, November 16, 2007

awesome student email exchange:

from a potential student:

"My name is John Smith and I have currently requested to be in one of your Labs for COMM 150 next semester. It was closed and I need this class to move on so is there any way you can like make sure that i get in?? Any help is much appreciated."

my reply:

Hi John,

A) I teach six COMM 150 labs, so I don't know which one you're talking about. Three of these are already over the capacity and so I won't be adding any more students to those.

B) "So is there any way you can like, ask nicely?"

:) Sylvia Carlson

from john:

"I'm really bad at formalities, i know that, so i'm sorry about the niceness. I'm working on it though and i'm gettin better. The lab is section 2, 4:40 to 6:20 on Mondays, but i'm not picky about time and day. So let me try this again.... I would very much greatly appreciate being added to any lab. I can cut grass quite well, i'm somewhat of a handyman so i can fix anything you need fixed, i have a garden at my house which is only 15 minutes away and we grow very nice tomatoes and would be happy to bring you some. Basicly i'll do anything to get into one. So please, is there anything that you can do? Thank you kindly."

so:

how cool is that?? i've never had a student attempt to bribe me with tomatoes or handy-work before. i do love tomatoes, christ i love them. and there are certainly always things that need to be fixed in this crazy house. anyway, i wrote him back and said he was sweet and wonderful and of course i'm happy to add him, etc., but it would probably be unethical for me to take his tomatoes ...

update -- i just got this email back from john:

I thank thee very kindly. and if you took the tomatoes it would be our little secret.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

john doesn't seem so bad afterall. take the man's offers of food and labor!

sylvia said...

haha. he's a cutie all right. i don't think he has any idea how hilarious and adorable he is -- really seems 100% country. :) but i don't want to get fired for taking a tomato bribe ... even if people would probably understand. ;)

Jen said...

That's great! I love your reply.

Oh, and does he know it's not tomato season anymore?