Friday, February 1, 2008

a "teachable moment"? [LONG]

i remember back in Composition Theory, the grad class we were required to take if we english grad students (i was one of these, sort of) were going to teach freshmen comp, what our prof referred to constantly as "teachable moments." they were these moments in the classroom when something unexpected would happen, say in discussion, or just ... in life, and you, as the instructor, had to think on your feet about how to make something potentially awkward and/or traumatizing/embarrassing into something "teachable." [cough.] well.

needless to say, there have been PLENTY of these over my few short years teaching so far, some of them poignant, many of them awkward, and many of them (i hope ...) funny.

take last night, for example.

since i teach public speaking, and since i also hate cell phones in class [especially texting! you fools! it's SO FUCKING obvious you're doing this, can't you tell? i can't stand this, argh.], i almost always, every class, make a point to hold up my phone at the beginning of class, turn it on "silent" and ask the class to do the same. i make the same lame joke every time that i prefer 'silent' over 'off' so i can see my missed calls because i'm so popular and i get so many calls, blah blah blah which is a BIG joke because i am really a loser and mention this and really never get any calls. whatever.

except in last night's class i forget to do this.

and OF COURSE THE ONE TIME I FORGET MY PHONE RINGS. IN CLASS:

ring. ring.

me: oh holy crap! i can't believe i left my phone on! i'm such a hypocrite. quick, everyone, turn your phones off! i'm so sorry!!

class: [laughing and laughing.]

kids in class: who is it? see who it is!

me: darn [i try REALLY hard not to swear in class], it's my dad. i'm such a dork. no one calls me except my parents. i'm so lame.

class: [laughs] answer it!

me: in class? are you kidding? we're doing important work!!

smart-aleck-funny-kid: i'll answer it, quick, pass it to me!

me: uh ... ok, here, press the green button.

kid: hello? [he has a deep voice. the class is trying SO HARD to contain their giggles. it is actually, quite hysterical.]

kid again: this is her student. [smiles] we're actually in her class right now.

[snorts from around the room. everyone is straining to hear every word.]

kid again: no, no, it's OK. no problem, i'll tell her. you have a good night, too. good bye. [hangs up.]

me: what did he say??

[class is CRACKING UP, btw.]

kid: [hands phone back to me.] he said he'd call you back later.

me: oh, OK. thanks.

kid: sure. anytime.

and that, people, is a "teachable moment," except i'm still working on WHAT exactly was "taught," except recovering from embarrassment through humor, maybe? it seemed MUCH longer in class, so i'm probably leaving something out ... god, but it was really funny. i should've put my dad on speaker phone, damn. maybe next time ...

No comments: