Monday, March 3, 2008

everyone is smarter than me

but this isn't a new feeling. (judging from the 8th grade science quiz results -- look below at the comments for that post).

of course, when i was young i was convinced i was a genius, and it took me until college to realize i was horribly NOT-SMART. in graduate school this feeling of not-smartness was only compounded on a regular basis, but it was invigorating in a way i won't get into here. maybe i need to do some remedial science classes? get a science book?

well, genius friends and family, here's a totally unrelated NON-factual question i'm posing to you all then: TO HAVE AN ACTUAL PHOTO OF MYSELF AT THE BLOG OR NOT?

i ask you this because the pic i had been using was [cough!] six years old and was linked from my department's faculty page for me. and now that pic has mysteriously disappeared from that page. so ... i looked at some very ugly pics of myself here on my laptop last night (many old ones, sigh) ... and then naturally settled on the hilarious Brandy-Beauregard pic from my very first blog entry.

it doesn't matter to me to have an actual pic of myself up at all. except.

except when i go to other people's blogs ... i kind of like seeing a face. an actual real face to put with the writing, the musings, the nonsense, the reflections ... you know. it personalizes it in some way.

but is this vanity? i can't decide. i need your help, my dear four readers. to have a "real" pic of myself or not? i'm at your mercy. clearly, you're ALL MUCH SMARTER THAN ME. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is so NOT true and you know it. you are WAY smarter than me, i just have a nerdy husband who guided me with my answers. speaking of nerdy husbands, he wants to know if you were sweet on any of those nerds from your junior high science team. :-) love you cousin!

Anonymous said...

real picture all the way baby.

Ross said...

Might as well use a real pic...

Anonymous said...

The picture of you with the groucho marx mustache from the website you and Lauren created might be an appropriate choice :-) Tons of love, Tu Mamacita

sylvia said...

ok, today is march 9 and i settled on a pic from summer of 2006! it's old but whatever ... i'm not looking at the camera, my only requirement for a profile photo of myself. kind of high-school-graduation-y, but it's only temporary until a better one (maybe with my new long hair) can go up ... THANKS to all for your input!! :) xoxoxoxoxoxo! s.