Friday, March 21, 2008

speaking of peace:

yep. [insert incredibly proud smile here.] i just got emailed this picture today, coincidentally.

that's my sister, lydia, somewhat hidden on the left of the yellow "SAY NO TO WAR IN IRAQ" sign, my mama lauri on the right of the sign with her fist raised (or is she waving? hard to tell in winter gear), and my dad, tim, in front of the yellow sign with a (don't ask, please) leather fedora-style hat he likes and his own white peace sign flag.

my dad protests the war every single saturday of the year: rain, snow, sleet ... -20F ... whatever. my sisters (julia's not pictured here) usually go with him when they're home. i'm embarrassed to admit (gulp- as i did here in this january post) that i haven't been to protest with him once on a trip back to MN. mom goes when she feels like it (e.g., when she's not sleeping or painting).

i believe in peace; i just don't work for it. (sickening, isn't it?) i will try to be a good peace protester when i go home to live this summer. but it's easy to protest when it's sunny and warm outside ... and so my dad will know i'm a fake, not as committed to peace as i should be (well, i'm sure he already knows this, frankly). i see now that suicide is my only option when the rest of your family is so wonderful. and i don't mean this snidely (for once i'm not being sarcastic): they are the best people around. oh! i love them all so much! such big hearts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's cool that your dad spends Saturday mornings protesting the war. My dad mostly spends them on the couch, in front of the television.