Tuesday, May 20, 2008

waiting ...

it's amazing what happens when you wake up and you don't immediately get to get on your computer with your coffee and your cigarettes. whole days go by where you don't check the 50,000 websites you used to check compulsively EVERY SINGLE DAY. you don't email friends back very well (not that you did to begin with [sigh]), and you REALLY SLACK ON THE BLOGGING FRONT. i kind of miss my old routine. but i sort of like my new, liberating one, too: i read the newspaper outside, i read more books, and i just PONDER more.

as it turned out, i got a waitressing job at the first place i went to that was hiring, and it was a SUPER HIGH-END FANCY-SCHMANCY NEW restaurant in downtown minneapolis, which is exactly what i was looking for. i got the job two days after my last post, and started training last night. this means i follow another server around like a lost puppy for about four shifts, then i "expo" (in my day we just called it "food running") for a night, take a freaking TEST, and then voila! I'M A WAITRESS. (again).





ok, i've got to run to get ready to leave. i have to be there at 10:15 to trail after my dude again for a lunch shift today. i will have to come up with some awesome waitressing stories for you before my next post. in the meantime, i'm learning more about steak, etc., than you ever would've thought possible.

[btw: the cat came back (just like the song), and the beagle is still troublesome but we've patched the holes in the fence ... mostly. now if we could just stop her from barking, good god. that howl-bark haunts my dreams.]

3 comments:

Jen said...

ahhh! I've been missing you. so glad things are working out well so far. I know you're going to make tons of $$$$$$$.

i miss you. the boys miss you. come home, come home!

Anonymous said...

Cuz! that restaurant sounds incredible! way to score a job at the first place you applied. they would have been crazy to turn you away. you're so smart and sassy and cute. you'll make so much dough you won't know what do you with yourself. i love you and miss you. let's talk on the phone soon. ok?

Anonymous said...

I probably shouldn't admit this publicly, but my most lucrative job ever was a summer waitressing job with big tickets and double shifts.

When you're running up and down those steps just think about all the calories you're burning. It'll make the hard work easier, I'm sure!