Tuesday, May 6, 2008

on loving

i ran across mildred loving's death yesterday, but didn't read the statement by mrs. loving until today, and it literally brought tears to my eyes. mildred and her husband, richard, changed history when they challenged (and successfully overturned!) the supreme court's ban on interracial marriage in 1967.

PLEASE read mildred's statement "loving for all" if you have time. it is heartwarming and uplifting, and she wrote it last year on the 40th anniversary of the supreme court's ruling in her favor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Silvia, my long lost friend. I read your blog from time to time whenever I need a laugh... and today it almost made me cry over my turkey sandwich (free from the lunch and learn I'm blowing off). Thanks. :) Maybe one day things will change for all couples...

ps. I'm really going to miss knowing you're just down the road.

sylvia said...

i hope things will change in this country for all couples, too ... we are overdue. hopefully the tides are turning. wasn't it perfect mildred and richard's last name was "loving," so the court case was "loving v virginia"?? ha.

EXACTLY.

(p.s. i want you to start the coolest most awesome arch-design-whatever blog in the world and then i can visit it all the time and we can keep up with each other that way????)