Tuesday, April 8, 2008

random racism?

so this just happened a few seconds ago:

[on door: KNOCK KNOCK. cue hyper dogs. fortunately one was eating in the crate and the other one (after three weeks of a barking collar, praise jesus) is much, much quieter.]

[i open door and hold back hyper/quiet dog, and see a skinny, late-20s dude with short red hair, acne, a lame goatee, khakis, and a zip-up fleece over a nice dress shirt. his white mini-van is parked up on the street. he's holding some kind of card in his hand.]

me: hello?

ginger boy [insert polite southern twang here]: hey, i'm sorry to bother you ... uh, is laqueesha here?

me: laqueesha?

ginger: yeah, does she live here?

me: no, she doesn't. sorry. [i'm struggling with dog now. he's going progressively berserk-er.]

ginger [glances at neighbor's door, connected to my house]: does she by any chance live there?

me: no, there's no one by that name living in this house. i'm sorry, i don't know her. [dog claws dig into my foot. in my head i blame ginger dude.]

ginger: ok, so no colored woman lives here?

me: . . .

[pause. did he really just say that? i look at him again. no. he's not 100 years old. WTF??]

me: uh. no.

ginger: all right then, sorry to have bothered you! thanks! bye now!

me: bye.

i would really like to editorialize here but it's all too recent ... there is SO much to do with this, i just don't know where to fucking start, my good god. i think i'll just leave it alone, let you faithful four commenters have fun ... [it's actually pretty sad.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's bad. Ugh.

I've blogged about how my neighborhood frustrates me, but one very good thing about it is its diversity. Makes me proud to know living here may help my kids to grow up colorblind.

Hey, maybe you should have let your hyper, barking dog loose on Ginger? But then again, maybe not... He probably had a shotgun tucked into the back of his van.

Anonymous said...

don't you just love living in south carolina? that would have never happened in minneapolis. never.